Monday, January 14, 2008

Back At It

I worked out tonight. Not much -- just 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. It's been a looong time! It felt really good. I took the book I'm reading, My Antonia. This passage reminded me of my favorite gym buddy and made me miss her very much:

"There was a basic harmony between [them]. They had strong, independent natures, both of them. They knew what they liked, and were not always trying to imitate other people. They loved children and animals and music, and rough play and digging in the earth. They liked to prepare rich, hearty food to see people eat it; to make up soft white beds and to see youngsters sleep in them. They ridiculed conceited people and were quick to help unfortunate ones. Deep down in each of them there was a kind of hearty joviality, a relish of life, not over-delicate, but very invigorating. I never tried to define it, but I was distinctly conscious of it."

3 comments:

kjirsti said...

Wow! What a perfect quote. I am going to keep that. Now I really want to read that book. We should start a book club! REALLY. I need more support in my reading, and I also want to become a more critical reader. Wanna?

Erica Jessop said...

I tagged you! Go to my blog and copy and paste! Hope everything in your life is going great, why are there no pics of you up!

Susanne said...

Mary,
This expands my understanding of your wonderful personality.
Mom