Monday, October 08, 2007

God's hand in my life

I felt very inspired by Eyring's talk yesterday. It reminded me of former times in my life when I felt closer to the spirit because of simple daily sacrifices I was making that helped me remember the Lord's blessings in my life. I want to set a goal for the upcoming year to make more of an effort to recognize the Lord's hand in my life.

It was very difficult for me to get out of bed this morning. The reasons were inexplicable. I simply felt like I wanted install Italian blinds (like Kj and I had in our apartment in Urbania), shut out all signs of life, and stay in bed indefinitely. I was able to convince myself to get up and make it to school early enough to park in free parking and walk across campus to my Italian class. I discovered I had a lesson today for which I was completely unprepared and had to cancel. The cellist in our quintet hurt her arm and we had to cancel the masterclass with the Miro String Quartet! I was unable to find a solution for the enigma canon for my modal counterpoint class, etc. It shouldn't have been a good day. But . . .

I felt prompted to double-check my schedule this morning. I had forgotten where I had written down my lesson schedule, but the location was brought to my remembrance. The lesson that I thought was scheduled for Thursday was actually scheduled for today. I was able to discover it early enough to call and cancel my lesson.

I felt terrible about canceling my lesson and also that the masterclass was cancelend and I wanted to leave and practice from home for the rest of the day. I felt impressed to stay at school, even though I didn't have anything going for the rest of the day. Kathy Winkler, my violin teacher, happened to come up to the practice rooms during my previously scheduled lesson time. She found me practicing and poked her head in to say hello. It was definitely good that she knew that I was practicing and not just slacking off. It confirmed to her that my reason for canceling was legitimate and that I took my violin (and her time) seriously.

I had a fantastic practice day. I felt like I could focus and that I was making progress. This doesn't happen often. God knew I needed to feel more confident in my violin playing today.

It turned out there was no solution to the enigma canon.

These may seem like little things, but to me they are tender mercies vital to my daily survival. I thank my Heavenly Father for his remembrance of me, a most undeserving child.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Today the Lord blessed me with an unexpected, and very welcome extra hour. I was able to access and complete both my homework assignments with relatively few obstacles. My Heavenly Father also made it possible for me to attend a fabulous concert put on tonight by the Miro String Quartet. I've rarely found Beethoven and Ives so uplifting. The third movement of the Ives String Quartet No. 1 is based on one of my favorite hymns, "Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing." It spoke peace and joy to my soul.

Unknown said...

I often see the hand of the Lord through my violin practice. When I overcome a challenge and am able to do something I felt incapable of doing before, I know that it's only possible through the grace of someone with greater knowledge. It was also a day of heavy reflection and I felt my Heavenly Father urging me to ponder on the things that I must do to become my best self and follow the path that God would set out for me.

Susanne said...

Dear Mary,
I, too, often feel the Lord's hand in my life, although I don't always recognize it. I also feel like you did the day you didn't want to get up. Elder Eyring's talk has inspired me to write down how the Lord's hand has been in my life. I remember how Wilson's class affected my life when he suggested we mark God's attributes in our scriptures. As I did this, I could see the Lord's hand so clearly in all the stories in the scriptures. It changed the way I read the scriptures. I believe as we write our own stories, we will also see His hand in our lives more clearly.
Love you! Mom