Thursday, October 18, 2007

Crepes

Breakfast crepes are a family tradition. We eat them drenched in lemon juice and sugar. YUM!! I've tried a hundred different varieties, and none can compete, except . . .

Lemon curd! That's right. Lemon curd and raspberry crepes have changed my life; and they just might change yours, too. They won't replace the family favorite, but they drive a hard bargain. I don't know if I can, in good conscience, serve them without this combination again.

Crepes:

1 1/2 c flour
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 T melted butter

Mix well and cook. :)

1 T + 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 c fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 c sugar
4 large eggs
Pinch of salt
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter cut into T

Whisk together zest, juice, sugar, eggs, and salt in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubbles appear on surface, about 10 minutes. Immediately force curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then refrigerate in an airtight container until cold.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am glad this won't replace the family favorite. Love, Mom

kjirsti said...

I'm confused. The curd goes on top?

Mike and Amber said...

Oh memories!! I love crepes or "swedish pancakes"...I haven't had them in forever and it always reminds me of our family reunions!! I am excited to have finally seen this blog that I had no idea existed!

kjirsti said...

just so you know. I check your blog, probably every day. So if you post I'll read it!

Tonya said...

I have to admit mary i'm a little disturbed that you are even trying different recipes than the family recipe! It almost feels sacreligious some how....have you made confession to grandma yet??

=)