Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Day In The Life

I got called to substitute with the Houston Symphony this week! It's a really big deal for me. It will be a great chance for me to see what a typical week is like as a full time symphony musician. (And it will look great on my resume!) Today was the first day. I was up at 6:30 to practice and get ready for my 8 A.M. lesson, drove downtown, spent thirty minutes trying to park my car, rehearsed from 10-12:30, ate lunch with friends, rehearsed again from 1:45-3:45, and drove back to Rice for yet another rehearsal from 5-7. Twelve hours and I'd covered music from Mozart to Messiaen, and from Schubert to Saint-Saens. Now I need to practice for my morning rehearsal tomorrow. How much are they paying me?

1 comments:

A Dose of Joy said...

Oh Mary! That is so exciting! I hope you enjoy rehearsing and performing with such a great orchestra. Did you audition to sub with them recently?

I'm glad you're coming up for Kjirsti's recital! I'm looking forward to playing in it with Erin and a few other girls. Let's definitely spend a little more time together than we usually get to when you come to Oberlin :)

Have a nice day,
Chloe

P.S. Your recital picture is so pretty~oh, and thanks for the note on my blog...I'm taking a little bloggy break so I can decide if I want to keep it up, but it was so nice to hear from you!