Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Asswage grief

"I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you.
But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief." -- Job 16:4-5

What of our thoughts, actions, and words? Do we heap up words and shake our heads when we have no way of seeing into the mind, heart, and experiences of others? We are often told not to judge; this scripture offers a replacement for those tendencies. How would our lives be different if we strengthened each other with our words and strove always to asswage each others' grief?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful scripture. I have been thinking a lot about this lately... judging others when I have absolutely no way of even slightly knowing the other person's heart, mind and experiences. I think this is a very important lesson to learn. I'm still working on implementing it in my own mind and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

The very difficult thing about this post is that it's about not judging. Yet, I find the fact that you spelled assuage asswage incredibly hilarious. What is one to do?