Friday, March 09, 2007

Grapefruit

My adorable best friend, Kjirsti, sent this to me this morning. How many people do you know can be this poetic and rhetorically passionate at 8:00 in the morning!

"I just had one of the most amazing experiences of my life! Let me start from the beginning: Several days ago I discovered the the coop had grapefruits. I was ecstatic and readily grabbed one to take home and enjoy the next morning. The next two mornings were busy and I forgot about my precious grapefruit, each day at around 11:00 I would remember and commit to relishing in it the next morning. Today, I remembered. As I walked to work, my face held a smile as I soaked in the morning sun and threw my grapefruit from hand to hand, preparing to eat it at work. I knew I didn't have a bowl or a spoon, but I had seen people peel their grapefruits before and I decided to try it. Peeling away the hard outer skin was like unwrapping a present, it's only resistance was the intense tropical smell that it emitted as I tore the protective covering from the juicy underbelly. Now I held in my hand a perfect ball of delight, ripping it into two segments I proceeded to pull of each wedge individually. But the grapefruit had not surrendered yet. Each wedge had to be stripped of its hard outer sheath. Pulling away the first wedge's protective sack revealed a vibrant colored fleshy meat made up of individual vessels each containing luscious flavorful juice. Sucking this flesh from the fibrous exterior, I felt like a carnivore cracking a bone to suck out the marrow. As I proceeded from one wedge to another to another, I savored the bursting containers of succulent juice letting not a drip fall from my ravenous lips. Nearing the completion of this heavenly food I felt a kin to the African men I had watched on the Discovery Channel hunt, kill, roast, and eat a small rat- a delicacy in their country. The process of ripping, pulling, separating and sucking all played a part in the overall enjoyment. When I finished all that remained were the fibrous sheaths and protective peel- a pile of fruit bones on my napkin. Today I discovered an activity the Greeks would have attributed to the gods. Today I discovered that grapefruit is my favorite food."

0 comments: